Wednesday 7 March 2012

My Story with Antarctica- “Survival Night”

“Survival Night”

3/3/2012

(Day Three)

In most days, I find myself walking up from my sleep and trying to hold tight the dream I saw. Sometimes it works well, however; it fails most. Today I woke up with a full picture I mind. I pulled myself out of bed quickly. I was afraid that the picture feds away and leaves me with the little tiny memories that may not be at all true.

Blown away with Antarctic Glaciers and ice bergs, I stood in the Deck amazed and fully taken by the wonders of the whiteness everywhere I look. The sky uniformed white and had a glimpse of light from the hiding sun. I was alone, united with the silence and the little talks of the ocean with ship. My frozen fingers tasted the meaning of being in the Antarctic. I made my prayers and wishes feeling the calmness of such gorgeous place.

It was a full day activities. We had our mostly awaited presentation about the “Penguins” by Berna. It was interesting to know their types and diversities. The most interesting part was about the chicks and how amazingly they are raised up differently between type and another.

Then, the inspiring and dream’s chasing team: Mechael and Youe in their presentation about their journey “Cycle for Water”. Twenty months ago they started their challenging mission to cycle from the Arctic to the Antarctic for raising water awareness. They faced many challenges on their way. Lack of experience, physical readiness, lack of support and the journey tough way did not step them back. They kept cycling and speaking about water wherever they reached. Incredibly, they made their way to reach Ushuaia a day prior the “Sea Spirit” departure.

Part of our journey to the Antarctic is to learn “How to Tell A Story”. Jhony one of the dedicated 2041 team is a professional and high sense photographer. He doesn’t only capture rare and fantastic pictures, he lets his pictures talk. That what his photos said to us on his behalf. He briefed us on the techniques and gave us tricks and tips to capture our stories and keep them holing the moments we saw forever. Jhony’s photos told us his story and passion to adventures and uniqueness.

We had our “Survival Night” briefing on how IAATO (International Antarctic Tour Operation) and the Zodiac procedure. Then came the awaited time to ride our first Zodiacs to get a closer look to the icebergs and glaciers in the Melchior Island. What an overwhelming experience. We dressed heavily as advised: Layers, Layers, Layers. Our Zodiac driver was Shane, an incredible person who loved Antarctica and holds a great care for it. He drove us to Island and took us around the magnificent icebergs. With the boat going up and down and Shane’s question: Is everyone alright? We scream with motivation and enthusiasm: Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa. Laughing when the water hits our faces and clothes and happily breathing the fresh air of this precious place. The icebergs with their spectacular shapes and bluish reflection on the sea water. It is amazing how fresh water touches with sea water in every corner of an iceberg, yet, they still remain original and separate. There were some magnificent shapes with water paths built wonderfully to end with small water falls in some places.

Though Shane has been 160 to 170 times to the Antarctic, the wonder of this place is still accompanying him. The happiness of seeing the Humpback whale finally today after these many times was shining from his face and words. I was lucky to be in his team today and share his amazing feelings.

I was waved away with this beautiful, tremendous and outstanding place. What a great day it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment