Thursday 15 March 2012

My Story with Antarctica- Antarctica is still there





Antarctica is still there


From the Antarctic to Ushuaia, this time the Drake passage wasn’t that kind to us. Perhaps to tell us it is not easy to go to the Antarctic and not easy to leave it as well. I left half of my mind and emotions frozen there and couldn’t take them back with me. The other half already arrived home safely with my family and left me alone in Argentina.

The 12th of March was the good bye day to most of the team. Some people couldn’t hide their tears and some said nothing when they were trying to avoid the word Good Bye. The few days we had together, hiking the martial glacier, in the ship, in the zodiacs and when exploring the Peninsula and the Antarctic land are embedded in our souls and will remain forever.

As usual, I get lost in my mixed feelings. I look around and try to remember the last moments. It sounds like we lived an entire life together. The stories I heard, the incidents that made us closer and the teams I worked in were amazing and inspiring. I will never forget Cameron or Anna who were such a great example of patience and braveness. Each one of them lost a leg, yet got a bigger heart instead. Both of them believe that had happen for their best. Seeing them boosted me up and high to climb the mountains and forget about having a tiny and tired body.

Shinaz, the Moldavian man is creative, full of energy and dreams. Raised his own funds and decided to come to the Antarctic to preserve his home from the effect of global warming. Eighty present of the Maldives might sink under sea if the sea level raised up only for one meter!

Caroline is a fantastic, quiet and smart girl. She reminds me with those who have sharp insight though they have short sight and wear optical glasses. Her butterfly nods were amazing and made our team proud. It took her five years to make her dream to visit the Antarctic real. What a great endurance and hard work.

Jihong Yeom or Patrick is a Passion Designer. His passions drive him towards creativity, innovation and inventions. Months ago he was admitted to the hospital after a bad car accident. Yet, that made him stronger and inspired him to invent a small handy yellow piece to reflect the lights and attract divers’ attention. He distributed some of those yellow pieces to us to attach them to our back bags. I still have mine attached and will not take it off. Steve gave a real example of the importance of Patricks card. Two days back, Shinaz and I met with him in Buenos Aires and he mentioned his regret about not carrying Patrick’s yellow card as he was about to be hit by a car when crossing the road.

I can’t mention everyone, but everyone has contributed in making this expedition with great value to me. Everyone’s story is unique and has its own flavor. Even those whom I couldn’t interact much with them due to language barriers such as the Chines team, they were amazing.

Not to forget the ship team, Shane, Krystle, Jamie, Jake, Berna and all the others, the ship crew along with the 2041 team worked hard to make us enjoy and get the maximum out of this expedition. They cared about our safety, encouraged us to look around and have our own quiet and self-reflection moments. I could see how much was every one of them obsessive and occupied by the gorgeousness and beauty of the Antarctic. They cared very much about keeping it neat, safe, quiet and untouched.

I assure them to walk on their path, follow the steps of Robert Swan and all those who care about preserving the last wildness of earth. It is a commitment I make to myself and the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment