Tuesday 21 February 2012

My Story with Antarctica - Why?

My name is Zeena Al Towayya. In 2003 I graduated from Caledonian College of Engineering with Higher Diploma in Computer Engineering. Since then, I started my career life in the private sector. My first job was a System Analyst and Software Consultant. Then, I moved to another Information Technology organization where I worked as a Marketing Executive. During my second job, I went back to the college to pursue my degree. I graduated with BSc Honor degree in Computer Engineering in 2008. Before the graduation ceremony, I joined another company as an E-Consulting Services Manager. I’m currently focusing on the Antarctic Expedition and would go back to perusing my career life after coming back from the Antarctic.

Around three months ago, I had the privilege to be one of the Mosaic International Summit 2011 in Qatar delegates. The summit is a leadership programme established three years ago by His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales. Participants on this programme were selected from hundreds of candidates from 20 countries. In the summit, I have met with Sir. Robert Swan OBE, first person in history to walk to both North and South Poles. He invited me to become the first Omani woman to join the IAE programme.

For me, personally, this journey will worth a lifetime experience. It will be my first time to visit such an amazing place and explore it with professionals and scientist as well with team members from all around the globe. My aim is to take this challenge to gain knowledge from its real source. I do highly believe in the importance of every individual’s action. Thus, I will not stop by only getting the knowledge and I will keep on passing it to others in Oman and wherever I can. As a social responsibility, I will participate in environment saving seminars, conferences and various events. I will also provide awareness presentations for schools, universities, and government and private sectors. I will involve youth in some workshops and practical events to make a real change no matter how small it might be.

I have a deep concern about environmental degradation and lack of sustainable development. In Oman for example, effects on climate change are evident in the recent years. The summers are getting longer and hotter and the winter is getting shorter. The rains frequency has increased, became stormier and more irregular. In 2007 Oman was hit by Cyclone Gonu and then came Cyclone Phet. Months ago Thailand sank under floods and it is going to take time to recover. Now Europe is undergoing severe and harsh weather conditions. The reports we see in the news bulletins are irritating, scaring and very much shocking. Thus we need to take the lead and make a change.

The International Antarctic Expedition organizes trips to the Antarctic for the purpose of education and studying; exploring the wildlife, landscape and what can be done to protect its environment particularly in view of the increasing global warming and climate change. This expedition shall teach us about the safe sources of energy, green environment and environment sustainability from the onboard experts. In addition, we will be acquiring the leadership skills and tools and become leaders of positive change.

No comments:

Post a Comment