Sunday 26 February 2012

My Story with Antarctica – Across the Atlantic






25-26 FEB 2012

The journey from Oman to Argentina was quite hectic. I had a stop in Dubai for more than an hour. Then a long flight that lasted for 13 hours till it landed in Brazil (Reo De Janero). We stoped there for an almost an hour. After that we flew to Buenos Aires. I had a short sleep in a hotel before I get back to the airport heading to Ushuaia.

From Oman to Dubai I had a lovely chat with an Egyptian cabin crew. He was nice and we talked for quite a long time about my journey. In the beginning, he was against the idea, yet he changed his mind afterwards and asked for more details on how to join. I was glad that I did a good job and made him understand our mission.

Then, in the flight from Dubai to Reo De Janero I sat next to two friendly Brazilian couples. The lady was excited to know about Islam and the differences we have in religions. She was very respectful and well understanding. She even answered my questions politely. The husband joined us on our discussion about our cultures and countries. We took photos and exchanged addresses. They even offered me a stay in Brazil at anytime. In the last minutes of the flight, I had a chat with a lovely cabin crew from England. She is young and new in her job. We talked about the expedition and traveling in general.

My stay in Buenos Aires wasn't exciting at all. I hated the hotel very much. Perhaps it's the room that I got. Anyway, I just needed it for few hours sleep and then back to the hotel.

BA airport is very crowded and small. The taxi driver dropped me at a wrong terminal. It was my mistake.
He didn't know English nor I knew Spanish. Anyway, it wasn't the language that caused the confusion, but me wanting a hot cup of tea in a rush hour. Luckily I a young luggage guy came to help for money. He pushed my trolley all the way to the right terminal. During the way, he asked me about the scarf I'm wearing and if it has any religion purpose. When I said I'm Muslim he laughed and pointed at my luggage and asked if I'm carrying any bombs. Well, he can not be blamed with all those flooding propaganda about Muslims. I got to explain some stuff to him with the a very difficult way to communicate. Again there was a language gap. On the way to BA, there was another chance to speak to a cabin crew. This time a guy from Syria. We spoke about the current situation and shared prayers to all innocent people.

The last flight wa
s to Ushuaia. This time I sat to a lady who is in her 50s who is accompanying her father who is in his 80s on his journey to the Antarctic. This old man is gifted and extraordinary. He knew some words in Arabic as he lived in Sudan for few years. The daughter words in an NGO to help people with special needs. I felt excited when heard about the daughter and the father's great word. Yet the courage of an old man to chase his dreams with all the age limitations and difficulties, with a device attached to the heart and a thought of near death has made me speechless.


This itinerary was really fantastic from one side: the great seat I got facing the cabin crews and having a huge space to stretch my legs and put my back pack under them.



Tomorrow I will wake up from early morning and join Zeina for a walk towards the Glacier mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment