Wednesday 22 February 2012

My Story with Antarctica – From The beginning (2)


My efforts got me four sponsors. It is such a great honor to hold Caledonian College of Engineering name next to my heart. I am also very thankful to Oman Trading International, Omran and Dettol for sponsoring my voyage to the Antarctic. The four sponsors share high beliefs on environment preservation and have their green initiatives. Their support is extended beyond becoming the first Omani women to go to the Antarctic. It is to support me reaching my noble goals to contribute to environment preservation and become an ambassador of positive change.

The challenges did not end by getting funds. I had to get my clothing and gears from Dubai where there are specialized stores in winter clothes.

Though Dubai is a near by city, this time it was far for me due to my very busy schedule. Gladly, I got most of the things I needed from there.

Then came another irritating issue. There is no embassy for Argentina in Oman, neither there is a consulate. The nearest country to get it from is Saudi Arabia. Though I was advised by Argentina Embassy in Saudi Arabia to get a letter from Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Oman requesting to process my visa without the need to travel to Saudi Arabia, the Ministry refused to do so. It was so frustrating and embarrassing at the same time to see how other organizations from other countries respect us more than our won. This lead to flying to Saudi Arabia, spent a night there and started my visa processing.

Now, it is time to organize the small and most important issues. I’m counting the days down and can’t believe it is happening very soon. I have a mixture of emotions and confused feelings. It is a huge responsibility on my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment