Friday 27 April 2012

The Story before the Antarctic (2): Why Antarctica?


Why Antarctica?

It was truly said that the disaster that doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger. I believe this happened with me. For more than nine months I was struggling in my job though I loved it and I loved the clients I dealt with and the daily challenges. But I couldn’t bare the huge conflict in values and qualities I had with the management. I wanted to sustain the good ethics I was raised up with and fight for them. Hence, I decided to leave my job taking all the load of my financial commitments with no guarantee of getting a good job soon.

It was one of the best things I ever done I was rewarded for my good will with the opportunity to show more commitment towards spreading the good word and the good action. This is what happened when I received Robert Swan invitation to be the first Omani woman to go the Antarctic.

Years ago, I wanted to have the right to vote for Al Gore to be the US president. His “Inconvenient Truth” talk

about global warming and global crisis was the first eye opener to me about things changing in a scary and unwanted way. To tell the truth, I love those stories about how earth existed, the big bang the black holes, etc. Global warming was a sort of an action story that would be good to experience. Of course, I thought of it more seriously after a little while and then it became a concern that I wanted to learn more about.

So, to connect the dots, I wanted to go to the Antarctic because I got this big idea in mind of making a good difference. I wanted to become an ambassador of positive change and contribute as an individual in preserving our earth. Antarctica is a place that I believe as Robert Swan said, has to be left alone. Another thing drove me to go for this challenge was to tell everyone that nothing is impossible and we could eventually do something useful and valuable if we thought of how to turn our negative impact into positive.



No comments:

Post a Comment